22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Why Would you even want CarPlay?

Fellow F-Pacers --

I travel frequently, and I end up in a lot of different rental cars. Lately, I've been choosing the new Chevy models because they all have CarPlay. Which is awesome when you are traveling because you don't have to hook up bluetooth and sync your phone. You can just plug in and off you go!

However, for those that are clamoring for CarPlay in your FPACE have you ever actually used it? It's rubbish with only one redeeming quality.

1. Spotify - The spotify App on the F-PACE is 1000x better than the spotify App on CarPlay. The CarPlay app doesn't allow you to search, and looks like it's designed for a 3 year old with very limited motor skills. Yes, i realize it was designed for safety to be able to be used while driving etc.. still, designed for a 3 year old. Side by side comparison the InControl Spotify App is so much better than CarPlay

2. Crapple Maps - uhm, I mean Apple Maps. You can't use Waze with CarPlay. And who in their right mind uses AppleMaps? Plus, with ITCP we have a much more beautiful Nav system. yes, maybe there are some complaints on routes, etc. But with the ability to get extra data like traffic, or put the map in the dash, or use heads up turn directions, there is no need to use Apple Maps. I will admit, sometimes I do run Waze as well, but mostly to verify a route and also keep track of the local cops.

3. Siri - Yes, voice control of Text messages would be great. However, with "hey siri" after the latest update I think most of this is taken care of.

4. Other carplay apps? MLB At bat, audible, podcast, etc. Anyone use them? If so, good for you.

So what is the one redeeming quality? Apple allows you to use Carplay in the background. Meaning, that you can plug your phone in, leave it locked and it will work. Apple restricts this functionality from the ITCP Apps. Meaning your phone has to be unlocked and the screen on for this to work. That's my one big complaint. If i could leave my phone locked, I wouldn't have a complaint at all.

Guys, I'm an apple fanboy. I love it, got it all, iPhones, macs, iPads, apple watch, you name it.. but CarPlay, not that exciting to me.

Just my 2 cents, I'm sure there are those of you who feel differently!

Dave
Tonydina and Okie like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 11:14 AM

Garage
I expect Car Play to evolve over time and get better with each successive iOS release. Not sure we can say the same thing about ICTP but I hope that I'm wrong.

I do agree that I'd prefer to use Waze or even Google Maps on my iOS device before I'd want to use Apple Maps but AM is much better than it was when it launched.

While Car Play was a feature I was looking for in a new car it didn't stop me from moving forward with the F-Pace. Can't wait to get it into my garage.
post #3 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 11:33 AM

Have CarPlay aftermarket in another vehicle and
1) I use both audible and podcasts extensively on road trips, ICTP makes a hash of these but I generally just manage through the phone rather than ICTP but play through ICTP so not that big a deal.
2) integration of text messaging, CarPlay makes it really easy to handle and respond to text messages. I can get somewhat similar using Siri through ICTP after the late 2016 update but CarPlay is much better at it.
3) quickly getting voice navigation. yes I know Apple Maps can suck but there are many times I need to find something quickly and can just call out to CarPlay to find it and guide me there.

I don't find it rubbish, as with ICTP, using it a lot and learning it's ins and outs it is a pretty useful system. I'm not as disappointed as I was that it isn't available in F-Pace but sure would be nice.
Okie likes this.

British Racing Green S with all the trimmings, Built 7/4/2016, delivered 8/22/16. Love it! BRG Grand Duke of Western Colorado Territories (minus Roaring Fork Valley) and Parts of Denver City
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 11:38 AM

Garage
Oh, and just reading this? No voice control of navigation in ICTP? That seems like a huge misstep on JLR's part.

No voice command for Navigation
post #5 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VZX-CO View Post
I don't find it rubbish, as with ICTP, using it a lot and learning it's ins and outs it is a pretty useful system. I'm not as disappointed as I was that it isn't available in F-Pace but sure would be nice.
OK Rubbish might be a stretch to far, but even with all the quirks, i'm fairly happy with my ITCP system and in comparison to CarPlay I think, at least how I use the system, it beats CarPlay. But again, that's just for me. With the Spotify App being the big winner.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 02:13 PM

Why wouldn't you want it when $15k cars come with it standard these days?

Not the biggest Apple Maps fan(I use waze) but it is still better than the system navi for its intelligence and as mentioned the voice features

Text messages is another huge one.

Also, Apple enabled wireless CarPlay back in iOS 9 but no car manufacturer that I know of has actually implemented it--shows you how slow their development cycle is(due to a number of factors including the obscene regulatory environment).

2017 F-Pace S Black w/black pack
Ordered 1/16, Delivered 5/16
post #7 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Well... a 15K car has it so a company can save money on development costs of their own infotainment systems. Now... I think we can all agree that ITCP has had it's bumps and bruises. It's definitely better than what I had on my Grand Cherokee before this.

I just found the actual CarPlay interface to be very lacking. Works great if I'm renting a car because it's quick and easy. However, if I owned the car, I like something more robust and am really increadibly pleased with the ITCP system.

What other system gives us the versatility that ITCP does? We can change the configuration of our home screen, multiple different map views with different information (traffic, weather, a 360 Street view upon arrival, Satellite, 3D, etc). Not to mention the ability to display that in our dash. Carplay can't do that.

The point of my original post was, if you have spent time with CarPlay, you might actually realize that the system we have is superior. But again.. that's just this guys opinion.
post #8 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 02:32 PM

Garage
I'll reserve judgement for when I pick up my F-Pace and use ICTP. But I'm still a little disappointed with the lack of voice input. I've heard there may be a software update that adds this functionality. Also, from my brief time on the forum the In Control apps seem to leave much to be desired. If ICTP is a platform that JLR will invest in and improve over time then I'm a little more excited. If I have to go to the dealer for each of these improvements it makes the process less ideal. Would prefer that I could just update the system OTA like any other piece of electronics in my house.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJaguar View Post
Well... a 15K car has it so a company can save money on development costs of their own infotainment systems. Now... I think we can all agree that ITCP has had it's bumps and bruises. It's definitely better than what I had on my Grand Cherokee before this.

I just found the actual CarPlay interface to be very lacking. Works great if I'm renting a car because it's quick and easy. However, if I owned the car, I like something more robust and am really increadibly pleased with the ITCP system.

What other system gives us the versatility that ITCP does? We can change the configuration of our home screen, multiple different map views with different information (traffic, weather, a 360 Street view upon arrival, Satellite, 3D, etc). Not to mention the ability to display that in our dash. Carplay can't do that.

The point of my original post was, if you have spent time with CarPlay, you might actually realize that the system we have is superior. But again.. that's just this guys opinion.
Why on earth do you have the mistaken impression it's one or the other? They could implement it and allow the user to decide.
JWreck, VZX-CO and Okie like this.

2017 F-Pace S Black w/black pack
Ordered 1/16, Delivered 5/16
post #10 of 24 Old 01-10-2017, 02:52 PM

All of this really comes down to two things: integration and control.

Integration: CarPlay is a foundation for developing applications that work in the car. There is a set of rules that govern how you can do things, a lot of which are related to the safety of doing app things in a multi-ton projectile. I could be wrong about this, but everything so far seems to be a layer of relatively lightweight apps on top of the car's existing infotainment system. Deeper integration would be possible if the manufacturers would commit to using CarPlay *as* the infotainment system instead of *on top of it*. This is a tough hurdle to overcome though. One reason is that not everyone is lucky enough to have an iPhone. The other is:

Control: Right now, the car companies have complete control over the infotainment systems they provide, which means they can control what information gets through to the CarPlay layer. The infotainment system can act as a firewall (in the IT sense, not the car sense), only allowing a bare minimum of information to flow between CarPlay and the car. It's not that they're necessarily hiding anything, but they can tightly control the data as much as they want/need to.

By the way, there are ways to code apps so that they're allowed to run in the background without being front-and-center, so that's on the developer to solve.
VZX-CO likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page