13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 Old 02-01-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Apple CarPlay?

Does anyone know if Jaguar is working on offering Apple CarPlay (or the Android version for that matter)? I understand that InControl should sync a number of things from our phones to the F-Pace, but is there anything it doesn't do that Apple CarPlay does? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 02-01-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdcs1 View Post
Does anyone know if Jaguar is working on offering Apple CarPlay (or the Android version for that matter)? I understand that InControl should sync a number of things from our phones to the F-Pace, but is there anything it doesn't do that Apple CarPlay does? Thanks!
I'm not 100% sure about the F-Pace itself but I do know Jaguar is on Apple's list of Car Manufacturers who support Apple Car Play. Unfortunately the F-Pace or XE isn't listed on the models page but that could be because the car is so new and this apple page could be outdated.

(Go to models to see available models for each manufacturer)

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/
mrdcs1 likes this.
post #3 of 55 Old 02-01-2016, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdcs1 View Post
They dont' support it and I read that they don't have any plans to support it currently in the future either. HUGE negative there, guessing they'll reverse themselves in a year or two but us early adopters will likely be out of luck.

post #4 of 55 Old 02-03-2016, 11:36 PM

Considering the time and expense they've invested on InControl, I suspect Jaguar will have to go kicking and screaming to a third party system. I am anxious to see how the new Pro system works.
I also wonder if the Ethernet internals will allow for updates going forward (like Tesla seems to do)
post #5 of 55 Old 02-04-2016, 03:09 PM

A number of manufacturers have been delaying the integration of Car Play and A. Auto. Jaguar is not alone on this one.
post #6 of 55 Old 04-27-2016, 07:14 PM

I think in one of the recent reviews it was stated that Jaguar will update the system to be able to use Car Play and Android Auto at some point in the future. (I posted a question about it...just can't remember the thread, sorry!)
post #7 of 55 Old 04-27-2016, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson View Post
A number of manufacturers have been delaying the integration of Car Play and A. Auto. Jaguar is not alone on this one.
Any idea why so many manufacturers are delaying here? Is it that they have to pay apple or google big licensing fees to integrate the options and they just don't want to stomach it?
post #8 of 55 Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 PM

Garage
Automakers cant keep up with the phone makers. Apple and Android phone makers release a new phone every year, a new OS and new patches for the OS. Carplay and Android Auto of different versions may interact differently with cars that may be integrated to older versions of these software. Also except Tesla no other car manufacturer has successfully rolled out an over the air (OTA) update. Most cars the core computer updates happens at the dealer.

The second thing is the data. Auto makes dont want to give away the data to apple and android- because there is a great revenue potential for this data. For example today a number of insurance companies offer a dongle which monitors your driving and based on certain parameters you get a discount on your insurance premium. Once cars have connectivity (SIM card), the manufacture can then monitor this and sell this data to insurance companies instead of them investing in making dongles. Almost all manufactures have a connected vehicle technology group that is working on this.

Thirdly some of the premium car makers think that if they were to integrate Android or Apple and the software malfunctions then customers will say that the XYZ car is not working and not that the software of the phone is not working. They dont want this negative publicity (this has probably cooled over the years).

Other than apple and android, Samsung and Intel are working on the Tizen platform- which supports connected car use cases. Ford is working on OpenXC and urging other car makers to adopt this standard platform.

Over the next few years I expect car-phone integration to become an universal module with some basic feature and an open platform (like OpenXC) which allows developers to access car data and develop applications for cars and you can buy it from you car screen as you would on your phone or tablet.

One can only image how this will change with driver less cars- car makers may have to set up massive technology capability to make cars drive on their own- they are already doing this. One the entertainment side- imagine a scenario where you sit in your self driven Jaguar F Pace 2021 model and buy the latest movie from the InControl Appstore and watch it while your car drives you from one place to another
post #9 of 55 Old 04-27-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alayana View Post
I think in one of the recent reviews it was stated that Jaguar will update the system to be able to use Car Play and Android Auto at some point in the future. (I posted a question about it...just can't remember the thread, sorry!)
There was a review that said that and another said it supports it currently, so who knows.

And no, they don't have to pay fees to Apple or Google to license it, they just don't want to give them access to all of the data, since that is key being that self driving cars are the future--they don't want to become dependent on them.

2017 F-Pace S Black w/black pack
Ordered 1/16, Delivered 5/16

Last edited by Pseudonym; 04-27-2016 at 08:14 PM.
post #10 of 55 Old 04-27-2016, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Any idea why so many manufacturers are delaying here? Is it that they have to pay apple or google big licensing fees to integrate the options and they just don't want to stomach it?
Every car manufacturer is obsessed about control. They think they could
use that screen space in car to generate another revenue stream. But the truth is all of them suck in providing services especially IT ones. They will never be able to create decent AppStore. They will never open car platform to 3rd party developers. They will fight with common sense (Apple or Android) like music labels (and consumers!) fought before iTunes until companies like Tesla, Apple, Google will make car manufacturers just no name procedures of chassis with 3D printed designs unique to each buyer. Just saying ;-)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jaguar F-Pace Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page