Jaguar F-Pace Forum banner

Apple CarPlay?

103K views 172 replies 51 participants last post by  Jaguwhat 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Jaguar is working on offering Apple CarPlay (or the Android version for that matter)? I understand that InControl should sync a number of things from our phones to the F-Pace, but is there anything it doesn't do that Apple CarPlay does? Thanks!

#2 ·
I'm not 100% sure about the F-Pace itself but I do know Jaguar is on Apple's list of Car Manufacturers who support Apple Car Play. Unfortunately the F-Pace or XE isn't listed on the models page but that could be because the car is so new and this apple page could be outdated.

(Go to models to see available models for each manufacturer)

http://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

Reactions: mrdcs1
#3 ·
They dont' support it and I read that they don't have any plans to support it currently in the future either. HUGE negative there, guessing they'll reverse themselves in a year or two but us early adopters will likely be out of luck.

#4 ·
Considering the time and expense they've invested on InControl, I suspect Jaguar will have to go kicking and screaming to a third party system. I am anxious to see how the new Pro system works.
I also wonder if the Ethernet internals will allow for updates going forward (like Tesla seems to do)

#7 ·
Any idea why so many manufacturers are delaying here? Is it that they have to pay apple or google big licensing fees to integrate the options and they just don't want to stomach it?

#9 · (Edited)
There was a review that said that and another said it supports it currently, so who knows.

And no, they don't have to pay fees to Apple or Google to license it, they just don't want to give them access to all of the data, since that is key being that self driving cars are the future--they don't want to become dependent on them.

#8 ·
Automakers cant keep up with the phone makers. Apple and Android phone makers release a new phone every year, a new OS and new patches for the OS. Carplay and Android Auto of different versions may interact differently with cars that may be integrated to older versions of these software. Also except Tesla no other car manufacturer has successfully rolled out an over the air (OTA) update. Most cars the core computer updates happens at the dealer.

The second thing is the data. Auto makes dont want to give away the data to apple and android- because there is a great revenue potential for this data. For example today a number of insurance companies offer a dongle which monitors your driving and based on certain parameters you get a discount on your insurance premium. Once cars have connectivity (SIM card), the manufacture can then monitor this and sell this data to insurance companies instead of them investing in making dongles. Almost all manufactures have a connected vehicle technology group that is working on this.

Thirdly some of the premium car makers think that if they were to integrate Android or Apple and the software malfunctions then customers will say that the XYZ car is not working and not that the software of the phone is not working. They dont want this negative publicity (this has probably cooled over the years).

Other than apple and android, Samsung and Intel are working on the Tizen platform- which supports connected car use cases. Ford is working on OpenXC and urging other car makers to adopt this standard platform.

Over the next few years I expect car-phone integration to become an universal module with some basic feature and an open platform (like OpenXC) which allows developers to access car data and develop applications for cars and you can buy it from you car screen as you would on your phone or tablet.

One can only image how this will change with driver less cars- car makers may have to set up massive technology capability to make cars drive on their own- they are already doing this. One the entertainment side- imagine a scenario where you sit in your self driven Jaguar F Pace 2021 model and buy the latest movie from the InControl Appstore and watch it while your car drives you from one place to another :)

#11 ·
For Christmas I gave myself a present of upgrading the 2007 aftermarket navigation system I had in my 2007 Toyota 4 Runner. I put in a Pioneer 6100NX with XM radio. The Pioneer unit has its own navigation system but more importantly full Apple CarPlay. I think it can also support Google's system. CarPlay is GREAT! Familiar interface, full access to podcasts, music, Apple map/navigation, address book, messages and the Siri control is pretty darn good. It is super convenient. The Pioneer is also user upgradeable though it's a little cumbersome. You get something like a year of maps updates then pay a subscription fee after that. Also allows you to add some additional features. Overall it was a great update to my loyal, sturdy 4 Runner which has driven the toughest Colorado 4WD roads, across country many times and hauled a ton of stuff and several dogs.

Before ordering my FPACE I sat in another Jaguar at dealer and played with InControl Pro for an hour. Even though it's pretty responsive and has some neat features it just feels so primitive compared to CarPlay. I'm from the software industry and the interface is just very basic essentially icon driven menus in a very traditional menu structure. I took a look at Porsche where the newest Macans have CarPlay.

In the end I decided to sacrifice my desire for CarPlay to get the FPACE. I am dearly hoping that Jaguar will upgrade InControl IN EXISTING vehicles so that it will also support CarPlay. All the BS about losing data to Apple is just that BS. What data?

As with any major software platform it has to be the case that a platform whose development services millions of users, developed by software/interface experts, is going to be superior and advance more quickly than a proprietary platform built by a car manufacturer for a much small set of users.

Hope everyone will bug Jaguar on this subject. Apple ought to kick them off the CarPlay list if they don't come out with something soon. Would love to know if anyone has heard or seen anything authoritative about the potential for InControl upgrades to Apple CarPlay support down the road.

#12 ·
For Christmas I gave myself a present of upgrading the 2007 aftermarket navigation system I had in my 2007 Toyota 4 Runner. I put in a Pioneer 6100NX with XM radio. The Pioneer unit has its own navigation system but more importantly full Apple CarPlay. I think it can also support Google's system. CarPlay is GREAT! Familiar interface, full access to podcasts, music, Apple map/navigation, address book, messages and the Siri control is pretty darn good.
I was as excited as you are until realized how small number of apps supported by CarPlay. For example Waze I'm constantly using on iPhone is not there. Apple is very restrictive what goes on dashboard and most apps currently doing same thing: music, voice, podcasts. There is so much additional value could be built
on top of existing online services. But Apple is not interested, Google is not interested, car manufacturers are not interested either. Dead end

#13 ·
That's why I wasn't springing for the tech package, it's already antiquated technology and it will only get worse with time.

If they told me they could issue a software update for $500-1000 extra that enabled CarPlay Id pay for it without hesitation.

#14 ·
Same here on upgrade.

I disagree on dead end. Slowly seeing more apps coming on to CarPlay and even the functionality there now I find very useful as well as the safety of not futzing with my phone while driving.

#15 · (Edited)
Reactions: klimchuk
#16 ·
Good article. Both Google and Apple benefit from testing UI on millions of users rather than car systems tested on (hopefully) thousands. Unfortunately dealer can't do anything about it. When InTouch infotainment system in my Infiniti failed in many areas I notified my dealer first. He is a good guy but told me such questions usually managed on a high product level where input from customers or dealers rarely considered.

#21 ·
I completely agree, auto makers ought to service customer by offering options that allow one to pick amongst popular phone based options, basically Google or Apple. Car OS platform should also be upgradable over time and not just map data. I think the Pioneer and similar after market systems are good models.

I think the liability question is a red herring or moot since large car manufacturers are going with Apple and/or Google already. Might have some applicability for control of car systems.

GM is going full tilt with CarPlay as is Porsche.

I came close to going Porsche over F Pace over CarPlay but love the revived Jaguar and the F Pace (on paper so far) and am turned off by Porsche extra charges for stuff that comes standard on any other vehicle.

#22 ·
Chill kids. Jag has already stated both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are coming to InControl Touch/Pro in the F-Pace. They will use the same type of interface as InControl Apps where you launch the menu item on the touch screen and then get a list of supported apps from your phone. Date still unannounced, but as it is just software related, no doubt it will be available via an over the air update.

Also for those of you who think the apple CarPlay experience mirrors your iPhone or is somehow much superior to InControl Apps, read the attached review. As you can see the experience is near identical to InControl Apps.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/01/one-week-with-apples-carplay/3/

P.

#23 ·
Chill kids. Jag has already stated both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are coming to InControl Touch/Pro in the F-Pace. They will use the same type of interface as InControl Apps where you launch the menu item on the touch screen and then get a list of supported apps from your phone. Date still unannounced, but as it is just software related, no doubt it will be available via an over the air update.

Also for those of you who think the apple CarPlay experience mirrors your iPhone or is somehow much superior to InControl Apps, read the attached review. As you can see the experience is near identical to InControl Apps.

One week with Apple?s CarPlay | Ars Technica

P.
I'd love it if you are right about this, but so far there has yet to be a single vehicle available from any manufacturer that has received an update to enable CarPlay or Android Auto. These features have been added only in new vehicles and not to previously sold vehicles.

#25 ·
As noted previously I've now had CarPlay in my existing SUV via aftermarket Pioneer 6100nx and use it all the time. It's far superior to even InControl Pro and it means little or no need to interact with the physical phone. Ive spent a good bit of time at dealer using InControl Pro and even though it is nice looking and fairly speedy it is primitive compared to CarPlay. InControl apps are a poor mimicry of CarPlay. From the Apple App Store reviews of the Jaguar InControl iPhone app reviews: "Worst app in the App Store. Please fire Peter Vinik for releasing this and enable CarPlay" and "Takes over your iPhone, apps are low featured poor substitutes for the very limited number of apps supported." The reviews for the Land Rover version are more numerous and scathing.

I've seen a fair number of complaints elsewhere online about how cumbersome they are to use as well.

Here's a video of a Bosch engineer demonstrating InControl apps:

http://youtu.be/-te1cd33-w4

Note:
- Bosch/Jaguar/LR has to approve apps and apps have to be written to InControl so very limited appeal to app developers
- It locks your phone off, over-protective Germanic nannying, what if my passenger wants to use phone which happens all the time in my car
- note is music no access to podcasts, I do a lot of long distance driving across Colorado and use that time to catch up on a bunch of finance podcasts
- in general no real consistent familiar design in apps

The Jaguar process for them is cumbersome as well:

Jaguar InControl® Apps - FAQ | Jaguar USA

"InControl Apps must be selected when the vehicle is ordered as the hardware can only be fitted at the factory. "

Also from the review cited in prior reply above:

" The good news is that since CarPlay lives on your phone and is totally under the control of Apple, updates come fairly frequently. There have already been several updates, and iOS 9.3 will improve the Music app."

I'd be interested in knowing when and where it's documented that Jaguar has said CarPlay will be available for InControl? My dealer says they have zero indication this is coming.

The closest I've seen is this quote from a CNET review of FX:

"However, Jaguar officials insist they won't have to reengineer the whole works to accommodate these technologies, so it probably won't be more than a year or so before these features become available." - unclear if this means a model year or two or a software upgrade in a year or two.

Interestingly Volvo is doing an upgrade for XC90 bringing CarPlay: "XC90 owners who took delivery of their vehicle before November 23, 2015 can schedule an appointment at their local Volvo retailer to receive a complimentary CarPlay update. Customers receiving their vehicle after that date may purchase CarPlay through their retailers for $300. Available applications such as Pandora, Yelp, Find Parking, updated navigation maps and traffic information are provided via a courtesy update for all XC90 customers."

BTW, there are Jaguar developed simulator apps in the Apple App Store that let you play with a simulation of either InControl Pro or InControl

This isn't that big a deal to me obviously since I ordered the F Pace but geez this whiffs of many strategic dead ends in computer industry; proprietary platform lock in, limited user base to attract software developers, overly controlling engineering, etc. For the price of InControl Pro as an add on one ought to get CarPlay or Android/Google alternatives included particularly since Porsche, GM and many others across the price spectrum are rolling it out as standard and for $800 to $1,000 you can get full nav, entertainment and CarPlay retrofitted into existing vehicles via Pioneer or similar.

Reactions: Pseudonym
#28 ·
Wow, just looked up the apps on the App Store. Apparently it's worse than I even assumed it would be, reviews are brutal. If they're targeting the XE and the FPace at a younger market, these sort of missteps can sink a product in a hurry.

#29 ·
Apple CarPlay is so overrated. I was so excited to have it on my wife's Tahoe and it ended up being more annoying and a bust than anything. First of all, you have to connect the phone to a wire for it to work. Secondly, the UI looks bad on a car Nav screen. Thirdly, incoming texts are annoying through CarPlay. It's also has less features and dumbdowned.

#30 ·
I agree...

I have a Pioneer AVIC-F60DAB (NEX series in the US) with Carplay.. at the beginning it worked fine but with iOS upgrade and no software/firmware upgrade from Pioneer, now I have bugs from time to time.. Using waze a lot, since iOS9, when I turn on Waze, the radio (DAB&FM) is not working anymore...

So I simply turn off Carplay and now everything I need is working fine.. (DAB, Phone&Siri via BT, Waze, iPod via USB).. in fact I realize that I don't really need Carplay...

Reactions: Peter
#31 · (Edited)
Strange because at least in US Pioneer has provided firmware updates and mine works well. Use CarPlay all the time. You have to plug phone in for InControl apps to work as well so at least there the two are equivalent.

Great YouTube on live updates, I agree that is very good news.

Reactions: Peter
#32 ·
The only feature I would really love to be integrated into the car radio is being able to ask Siri for information on something, and then being able to put that address into the car navigation. Currently with my BMW, I just take the phone out of my pocket, ask Siri, then copy the address into the BMW Navigation manually. Finding things by using the BMW search is painfully slow compared to just asking Siri. I love being able to ask things like "Where is the nearest IHOP" and having Siri pull up the answers in about 2 seconds.

#33 ·
That's how CarPlay works for me, just ask Siri for the destination and bam it appears in Apple Maps on navigation screen and you're off to your destination.

#34 ·
I think the next update of iOS 10 coming in the fall they're going to enable Siri was you can just synch it via bluetooth and not require a hard connection.

I'm simply disgusted to hear you cant simply play music from your iPhone to the car using the native app or something like spotify--it that really the truth or am I missing something? The "apps" that are approved to work wtih InControl, I've never heard of a single one of them.

#37 ·
You're definitely missing something. Check out the native (to jag) music app in InControl Apps. It connects to your phone's music library and makes it fully accessible via the cars touch screen in a very similar format to how it appears if you were to use CarPlay. The only difference between the two when it comes to music is the lack of Siri based voice search for songs and the fact that while wired to your car you can't use the handset.

Honestly both are silly solutions. Who wants to plug your phone in every time you get in the car? I just always use my phone to stream audio over Bluetooth to the stereo and use Siri/Google Now voice recognition to choose songs/playlists etc hands free. This whole attempting to access the phone via the touch screen is more cumbersome (regardless if CarPlay or InControl Apps) by far than just Bluetooth streaming and using voice commands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.